Saturday, March 31, 2012

need n greed!

need and greed  two opposite terms ...But if you look closely and remove "N" with "G" it changes the meaning and purpose ..I usually see the greed thing when its free of cost and how people behave as if there is no end... it doesn't matter whether its rich or poor but you can actually see the greed inside that want to acquire more and more...
Parties , religious functions or weddings ,,, the way people eat  ..as if there is no end..
health hazard it can be but who cares? 
Every sunday I go to Gurudwara (sikh temple) for prayers and help in the kitchen if wanted by anyone from the community...the Gurudwara people offer breakfast buffet in the morning with wide variety of food made fresh in the kitchen with the help of people...
I am surprised to see the amount  of food  big pile of plate carried by people...(the food is almost ready to fall from plate)as breakfast in the morning ,,,, 
An Aunty ahead of me carried a big plate loaded with jalebis only ..I thought maybe five people will share and took one plate .... but as I came to sit there she happened to be sitting next to me ...I saw her eating jalebis (sweets) seriously loaded with sugar one by one ..and then all gone ,,,she was so slim no fat ..I thought "hmmm jalebi raaz hai inki acchi sehat ka"
nyways jokes apart ..another uncle came plate loaded with paranthas and pakora (fritters)... wide variety of chutneys and bowl of yogurt ...he looked at me and blessed me  ..said"betaji not eating anything ?"I said "I have it in my plate" he  laughed ..."eat something this a joke!"looking at my plate he said...
and I am surprised uncle ate everything and ..enjoying masala tea later. :))

The break fast starts at nine and continues till 11pm ...after that lunch is served at 12:30 pm and continues till 2:30 ..I am surprised to see the crowd which attends prayers for jus an hour but main attraction is food and wide variety of  drinks, juices and milk.
There is no end to greed ..it can be seen there in langar hall( dining area)total madness ,no end to refills.. people goin crazy .... kids goin mad for juice n coke..
Indian food always tastes good no doubt ..but keeping your health in mind and also if its free doesn't mean today is the last day of your life ...people its your own stomach and every sunday this food is here...jus go slow ...it part of sikh religion a ritual carried to provide food for free in Gurudwara so that no body sleeps hungry...
But this looks like luxury..as people enjoy all meals and ready for dinner too.. 
there are other Gurudwaras where all three meals  are served to people for free ...but its our responsibility to behave like adults and not kids...

Parties ,weddings or anywhere else where food is free......try to keep your greed in control..I would say freedom from greed ..and help others in making that food in kitchen where very few people are there and rest outside enjoying jalebelis and laddoo's ..
:))
have a good weekend!

11 comments:

Rachna said...

I agree. People just stuff themselves when they see ample food. Is it something in our culture?

Haddock said...

I have seen this when its free booze.
The way these "educated top bosses" top up is something to be seen.
I thought people would be more controlled when it came to Langaars.
After all the reason for a Langaar to be there is to feed the hungry and needy travelers and devotees I suppose).

Vyankatesh said...

Very thoughtful indeed. What you have said is bang on target.

Jack said...

Harman,

It is such a shame as most of the times many such persons leave uneaten food in used plates bin. I too wrote on this issue long back.

Take care

Bikram said...

Very true Harman. People tend to eat a lot especially if its for free.

you should see weddings so much food wasted as people just tend to fil there plate and not eat it ..

Bikram's

Renu said...

I agree..whenevr we do some pooja or jagran.it is necessary to serve dinner, because people dont come otherwise..ans in many other events also we serve atleast tea and samose to make it inviting to people..

ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini said...

I know, its something in the genes I guess. Why would you have to serve more than what you can indulge in?

Rahul Bhatia said...

Wow, Harman! Your observation is just bang on!There are no free lunches in life! Those who gorge will pay heavily buying medicines to keep them going at a later date:)

hamaarethoughts.com said...

@rachna ..its not culture its greed ..as if its last day of life!
pathetic

hamaarethoughts.com said...

@haddock..
yes I agree... booze is something they die for!

The Beautifier said...

I don't understand why some ppl waste so much food? Why do they have to overfill their plate and then later on chuck away half of the food into the bin! I can't stand ppl disrespecting the food!