Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My little India..


...Recently ..we had a wedding in India ..it was one of our cousins who got married...relatives all over the place from UK, Canada and US..were invited..we couldn't make it ,as it was at short notice and job scenario in US doesnt allow leaves at short notice...but mom and dad was there at the wedding ..they came back with goody bags ,videos and pictures of wedding ..and progressing India...
ALL the pictures of wedding was posted on facebook the very next day of wedding for those who could not make it to India.I got a call on weekend , in the morning from my aunt to check the face book ,omigwd two hundred pictures of wedding every detail and ritual shown ..Man it was fast ..everyone was tagged to keep clear from confusions..Thanks to face book.
Punjabi weddings are always colorful with lots of food ,drinks and music.It was a small gathering with a personalized touch followed by reception in Army mess with selected crowd..A small family affair with few friends,easy to handle and better hospitality was the main target..
To Me,
Its amazing the pace India is moving at.. though law and order still needs to be taken care off.. but most of the places seen in the videos exhibit western culture and new age era...
Looking back ten yrs from now ,there is now major improvement in the industry with globalization,all major brands available ,some of them are not available even in US are there in India,not to for forget the mall Mania.. Huge malls with food court and hip crowd ,I was actually surprised how Delhi has progressed ..


The recent Auto expo ..where the crowd ,the people ,the models.. omigwd..it was amazing..
I have seen auto shows here in Detroit.. as my hubby is an auto engineer and dad also in Chrysler so it is mandatory to see these shows .. but Delhi Auto Expo was different..to all the videos I saw,people are focused on models..lol ..next to concept cars and fascinated by their beauty rather then new era car..
The last auto show I saw here in US,there were Acrobats from Russia,and they had a show..where Jeep (Chrysler) was launched .. it was major attraction to the crowd.

Talking of India,I have not been there since five years so to me it was cultural shock.. Dating concept ,at local places guys and gals moving around in n out of the restaurants ... soon I think it will be like US where teenagers and others get intimate in public places and no act of indecency is there ,freedom of expression is given to all,when I saw a videos I felt we are not far from this western culture even the language and slang ..is same.
..The same kinda eating joints and same fashion..was something good to see.
Everything is available ..name it and its there.. Except few new innovations that has come up here in US.
The inflation before I forget to mention,when mom showed Indian currency a five hundred note she said there are only two cups of coffee with little tit bits available....I was surprised..
I pay here two bucks($2) or may be less for Tim Horton's premium coffee....
I am surprised at the purchasing power ,the amount of money people spend lavishly on stores when they take out bags of money to buy things ,seems like people make more money there ,then here..
Salaries have gone up in the private sector, what it was ten yrs back ..what stupendous change ,every other car on road is a luxury car..clippings from video ,but traffic congestion is same ..that needs to be taken care off...

The rented properties in Delhi ,at defence colony ,I was surprised to hear that it costs 1.5 lacs per month to afford a good three bedroom house.. Damn.. one has to make at 5 lacs to rent a property like that...
Rest of the places like chandigarh,ludhiana ,meerut ..all were suffering from power outage from seven am to five pm so no more hot water but fresh hot tea from servant s are available all the time or-black coffee to all the guests who were jammed to there beds.The youth from UK were busy boozing all kind of hard drinks ,a special bar created in the corner of the room.. Half of the NRIs were sick as nobody is accustomed to this kinda winter and wanted to come back ,but with indian junk food and on a major shopping spree it was hard to get off...


Some of the relatives went to jaipur to get some warmth and enjoy the Rajasthani culture, Dad brought some pictures of heritage hotels and resorts ..where Big B stays...Dad had spent some time with his friends in those hotels,we all laughed when we saw the pictures..its nice ,but place looks deserted ....

The driver with dad was driving very recklessly ,there were no seat belts at the back it seems it was removed for customers convenience so that three passengers can sit properly ..He banged a car ahead , those guys stopped and came out of the car.. Dad came out of the car and was shocked to see a fourteen year old kid on the driver seat, after argument both parties were settled and took their way.. it was good.. (no major issues)in US it would be a severe punishment followed by court procedure.. but mutual coexistence was seen..

Driver asked dad on the way to airport ,(the one who drove recklessly)
you are goin to "amrika"..(after a tip)
Dad said ..yes
Driver ... Saab can you show me a"dallar"I have never seen a dallar($) in my life or jus gimme a Dallar($)
Dad.. searched his pockets, and gave him..
he was happy...
and left him on the gate...

Dad was happy too..
God Bless my India!!!

8 comments:

Raj - Only name sake !! said...

A good post, all is well in your post which is not in the case of our country!
Read this - http://rajsramblings.blogspot.com/2010/01/61st-republic-day-of-india.html

dont scold me :)

BK Chowla, said...

There is no doubt that India has progressed. But ,does the progress ONLY means, few malls, few flyovers and 30 people in India earning as much as 3lakh do?
As per govt figures,80 crore people earn less than /20/day(0.40c).
A lot has been achieved a lot has to be done.
you might like to read -INDEPENDENCE-REPUBLIC indiaoftomorrow.blogspot.com

hamaarethoughts.com said...

oh..!!! thats sad.. jobs shld be provided and better living ,then bldg malls ..health care and education shld be in top priority..
Thanks.. Sir.I didnt know that..its an eye opener..

Dharmjit said...

yep according to my perspective india is changing but it is a slow process we are independent only from 60 years and then also we can stand in comparison with america ,britian and other global powers.

Bikram said...

YESsssssssss NEver miss a wedding , and Guess what I am going on holiday 18th to 28th feb.. My cousin wedding ... yes yes be jealous everyone I am goign :) he hehehe

Home sweet Home :) I would not go into the politics of change and all cause I ahve a different view, people who are in india have different .. But the post made me think of my home .. and it was a warm feeling ....

Dr. Tripat Mehta said...

Thats my India..
awesome post

hamaarethoughts.com said...

@Raj...
we visit India ,but people who live there know more about indepth problems,,, but still I would say India has progressed a lot!!
@Dharmjit:progress is slow but visible ...to me all the NRIs..its a radical change...
@Bikraam: for us India is our birth place ,our roots..even if a small segment prospers ..we feel proud..of it..yes..its our home..
@Tripat "prerna"
Thanks ,you liked my post!!! thats my India..YO

Haddock said...

As far as merriment and happiness in a wedding goes, I think the goans take the cake.