Wednesday, April 7, 2010

NEW YORK


..I was on vacation at NY for four days..it was Easter holidays so decided to take a break..and make it a family trip..I have visited NY couple of times ,but for work only ...its one n half hour flight from Michigan to NY ..so I usually commute for work which is easy and convenient.
My uncle (moms brother) moved from NY to Scotch Town ,suburbs of NY ..he bought a property up in the hills and invited us...
As we moved up the hills ..it was very narrow the road seem to be like thread in the hills ....I looked outside it resembled like a ridge of
Shimla but in a broader version..all hills and cottages mounted on them..at night I could see only lights everywhere...
Elevated at a height I could see a white cottage ..outside it was written "
SINGH'S"and uncle came out to receive us..My aunt brought some mustard oil and put few drops on the entrance ..its a Punjabi tradition to welcome the dearest people..and considered auspicious..
The house was all wood ..very tastefully decorated,It was ten hrs drive I was tired so after dinner I crashed immediately.
In the morning sun peeped through the hills ..I opened the door and went to the wooden deck outside..OMMIGWD..it was beautiful ..all hills and forest..with little chill as I sat on a swing looking around ..it was breath takingly beautiful..Indeed a vacation house..at a perfect location.
....Next day we went to NY city ..Manhattan ...5
th ave..it was like "kumb ka mela"its easy to get lost!Mad house..hawkers and peddlers on the steeet..I looked around and tried an orange cap..with flowers ..it was weird.then tried a hairband with feathers..it looked like I am goin for hunting...
Anyways we decided to go to time square..It was huge ,people dressed for party ..all decked up..I went to
Mc Donald with kids ..it was huge two floors ..all full..no place to sit..so I went to another floor and sat near the window ..looking outside I could American rickshaw and people taking a ride so very cute...then my cousin Ritu told me to see ..police on horses moving around..very interesting,but this was something weird ..when I saw a whole huge group of bikers showing some stunts on the streets of time square..weird bike noises!!!
I looked around a black women staring at me..then I saw her coming towards me ..quite a tomboy style..short denim jacket and cropped pants with short hair and all metal chains hanging from her bracelets...
she said ..Hi Hun(honey)..I said hi..Are u a member of union?at fifth avenue..I said no..u are not a member of the committee?..No ..I am not from NY I said...BUT..she said; you resemble so much ...she is a millionaire here in NY..I smiled and thought ..(wish it was true)..I said ;you are mistaken I am from Michigan....she was surprised ,So was I...
I stepped out of
Mc Donald outside four beautiful girls standing with boards ..written "FREE HUGS HERE"I told my hubby..so mch desperation..he laughed ..and said ;its jus fun...
NONSENSE!I said..
Another character standing on time square with board in his hand.
."HELP,I NEED MONEY FOR WEED"...
People are crazy..with so much crowd I think I was lost n looked around I was alone ...where are the other family members ???
HELL...
I ran and ran ,saw my uncle with turban ..in the crowd ..thank GOD..

It was fun ..but jus for short span,If I have an option I would never live in such a crowded city!



13 comments:

Chandrika Shubham said...

The best part of this post is that ur relatives still do the traditional ceremonies and that too in US.

Ur experience of NY is really interesting and funny. :)

Uma said...

am glad u enjoyed your stay there. got to know a Punjabi ritual.
it was fun reading this post.

Anonymous said...

hi harman ,how r u? lovely post enjoyed every bit! u know I read your blog at least two times its so refreshing and full of life..
keep smiling n God bless
Jai

BK Chowla, said...

I agree with you. I have been to NY twice and have stayed at 42 avn.
I was not very comfortable in NY.

Bikram said...

Nice one.. One good thing of being a SIKH.. you can see the TURBAN from afar.. yayyyyyyy..

Never been to NY, would love to be there.. No i think i did visit the airport though, when my flight got diverted from washington-chicago- seattle blah blah I did the whole of States then on my way to vancouver...

Glad you had fun ...

SathyaSridhar said...

Harman,, nice writing with ur coool experience trip to NY, lot of fun incidents happened to you ter na,,atlast did u bought ur hairband or not?...

Gaurav said...

It must be an awesome city.

FREE HUGS concept seems good, I'd like to have one. Lol.

hamaarethoughts.com said...

@SathyaSridhar..ha haa nope..I didnt buy it coz..for that kinda hunter look I also need a horse and some weapons ..UR Pulling my leg?ha ha ha

Anonymous said...

hey ,New York is crowded but full of fun wish I could visit and have some HUGS.:)

zeenusingh said...

WHATEVER,Love my city..NEW YORK
QUEENS

hamaarethoughts.com said...

@chandrika...yup..we follow all our traditions here in US!yes NY trip was fun! meeting family and some frds..

@uma..yes punjabi or any other ritual is always considered as blessing by eldars..

@JAI..I am good,thanks..so nice of u..

@Bk chowla..YUP sir..its very crowded! and all kinda weird things!

@Bikram..Turban is an identity given to a sikh ...my mamaji has been in NY for last twenty six yrs
but always had a turban ..
NY is good must see!!atleast once

@Gaurav I am sure every guys wants that..

@ZEE..YES..dear u will say that..as a NEW YORKER!!!

Raj - Only name sake !! said...

Good so you enjoyed, all your posts contains emotions in it.
wonderful way of writing.

hamaarethoughts.com said...

thanks RAj..appreciate it!