Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sleep deprivation!

..Coming back from work..it was a long day again....with days getting shorter...and darker my sleep deprivation was at its peak....I had seen people sleeping on their way....but now happened with me...I stopped at the red light ..and slept!! my foot resting on break....but then I heard honking sound....jus as if somebody pulled me out of dreams ...I got up ..and pressed accelerator and moved....It was very embarrassing moment and very dangerous at the same time.....never thought life would be so very busy and sleep deprived for me!!!
..Looking few years back ...in my own kingdom in India,I always over slept..and nobody even dare to wake me up... the maid had strict orders.."queen is sleeping"..then I slept after lunch also...."my beauty sleep".... Mom always pissed of with my sleep obsessions Said"You have come to this world only to sleep"I  was undisputed "Sleeping Beauty"both of my elder brothers made fun of me...saying" people who like to sleep ..miss all the good things in life"I always refuted back saying"I Don't Care"
Some fond memories....about my obsession of sleep...when I..just passed out of university...
 I finished my masters  and came back from University..after two years I was at home ..I was so relieved and happy to catch my sleep...I slept most of the time...afternoon siesta was the best part....nobody disturbed me even ..as if it was ..mandatory...so ,totally relaxed ..retired life...no tensions now...I thought ..

...I saw a vacancy in a paper one day....for a post of lecturer ... in one of the reputed Colleges...I applied and went for interview....it was boys college..the principal was impressed ..told me to join as soon as possible...not sure ..whether I want to work...coz I was having some good time at home...I joined for some extra  money...and few hours would give me good break ....
Now that I was so much into habit of sleeping in afternoon I couldn't control my sleep......we had finals for undergrads in our college  those days..I was on supervision duty...from two pm to five pm...(those were my peak hours of sleeping )...
I was sitting on chair...and felt I would sleep..so I got up and started walking in the rows ...checking all the students....it was in jus a blink of moment I fell on one of the desks..(It was the uncontrollable sleep)I heard some student saying(mam digg paye)"mam fell down"... the professors came running ..towards me....I got up ..saying sorry !!I made an excuse..try not to disturb the students...
I was sitting on the chair after that ..all Senior professors advising me"Mam you take care of your health ,and see a doctor as soon as possible " you are not well and we don't want to burden you with loads of work at this age...I said"Sure" smiling at everyone but knew very well what was wrong with me!!
this was the most embarrassing part of my life when I fell asleep while walking.....after that I decided not to sleep after lunch..NEVER...in my life...and gave up this habit!!
....Sleep is very important ,but pattern of sleep also makes a difference if  ..one sleeps at same time or duration its very difficult to get out of that habit.....since the body demands sleep at  that time...I learnt it in a hard way...

I sleep at least seven to eight hours at night ..which is significantly a good sleep ...but working and stress sometimes makes it harder which I guess takes a form of Fatigue and then sleep!!
but I would say if ever you feel tired while driving or sleepy ...get off the road and take a nap at a parking lot before you drive ......
otherwise the results can be Fatal!!

8 comments:

Writing Buddha said...

hahaha.. that part was funny where you felt on the desk. Hahaha. I hope your students or that professors are reading this. But you are right. Sleep is an important aspect of life. Thats a different thing that I sleep only for 3 to 4 hours. But I know it is hard and dangerous. but lets see whether my dreams get fulfilled by this sacrifice or not.

Bikram said...

very well said and a good piece of advice harman...

Sleep is must

Anonymous said...

I can't believe there is someone else in the world like me... to me sleep is very important... although, I never fell on the desk before... he he he, sorry, couldn't stop laughing it is hilarious!!

I used to do the same I was in boarding schools and when I used to come home for vacations... all I used to do was sleep, eat, sleep, eat, sleep some more... my dad used to come home from office and ask where's the princess!! He once left me a note on my bedside asking for an appointment!! - this was embarassing though!!

But you are right! A lot of states in NA have a rule against sleep depreviation... it's considered as "DUI" driving under influence... pretty fatal if you don't pay attention!!

Great post... as always!!

:=) Mannat!

GardenLane said...

For me it is opposite case. I am a sleep lover, however my critical hours of sleep are in early morning. I hate to get up early in the morning. I usually wake up at 9:00AM, or now at 8:00AM. If I wake up early, my immune system goes down and I usually end up getting fever or throat infection.
Now I have a baby and a five year old, and we have a nanny just to take my older one to school, so I donot have to wake up in morning. I can be up till 4:00AM and work normally next day, if I get to sleep from 4:00AM - 9:00AM. Never in college US or india I take up work or classes in early morning. My husband never books early morning flights, keeps our room dark with curtains and takes kids out of my room on weekend mornings.
I normally go to bed at 12:00AM after finishing all the work, tidy up the house, finish office work, see my son's homework etc,
I wake many times for baby and sleep right back. But once I am up at 8:00AM, start work at 8:30AM, get to my kids from 4:00PM and go to bed at 12:00 AM.

dr.antony said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bollywoodstylediaries said...

I love sleep too - rarely get enough!!

no one should drive in sleep deprivation state..it can be so dangerous!!

dr.antony said...

"On sleepless roads the sleepless go"

hamaarethoughts.com said...

@ Abhilash..thanks...you might find it funny...but I learnt a lesson not to sleep during daytime!

@Bikram..thanks!

@blogger girl..
thanks mannat.. I didn;t know abt "DUI"but Fatique kills for sure!!
your case is similar to mine...My Dad had pampered me a lot...he never let anyone make noise or disturb me...so much love and affection...I miss all that ..at times..wish cud be kids again!
thanks dear ..for your lovely comment .

Gardenlane..so sweet!ha haaa..nice dear..we all are same..in habits..happy to know that the sleeping pattern differs only..now..my hubby knows very well too to take care of my sleep..otherwise my whole persona is different :)Hubbys are something Good God has made :)
thanks!
bollywoodstyledaires..sleep is must most of the people are sleep deprived in US!

@Dr Anthony..very well said SIR!