Tuesday, March 29, 2011

What IF.........the recipe goes wrong!

last week was very busy ...work home and then some assignments in hand ...a deadline for each of those two hands one brain and twenty-four hours..Man...its killing..
I came back from work on Friday...and I thought of a special recipe to be tried..which I got from weight watchers magazine two weeks back ...I had made arrangements and did some grocery shopping as per the ingredients,,,
now before I go ahead let me confess I learnt cooking after marriage ,that too ...in jus last three years...I guess we all ..hailing from India are spoilt brats as there is lot of domestic help back home,once we leave our country ..reality check starts from that point...
Now this recipe was "Asian Stir fry pasta"..let me tell you I have my forte in Indian food...which I have mastered in past years...all dishes are par excellence due to sheer practice and and some variations....Cooking gives me some kind of happiness now which was opposite few years back...I guess environment changes every nice soul :)
I boiled this big pot of pasta and did exactly what recipe said without any variations(Usually for first time I try the recipe as given in by the chef without any variations)...and when  I tasted the final dish ....it was different !!
It was bland....little bit smelly ...not like Indian herbs and spices..
.....I called by hubby for dinner ..kids were happy to see pasta...too
I looked at my hubby who was eating pasta...and leaving half plate he said"I have to transfer some files so may be later I can have this"
my older boy started crying loudly ..I looked at him I thought may be something is hurting him or pain somewhere ...Kevin said"This is gross !!I hate pasta I wanna throw up I feel giddy...I looked at my hubby who was smiling and said" children are so good in their expression and thoughts...and emotions so profound" what I couldn't say he said so clearly and loudly!!
I looked at my hubby he was laughing " so that's the reason you were making excuses of work I said..."please ..don't refrain yourself go ahead and give your opinion too.."
I looked at my younger son who was playing with pasta and fork...he was
saying "this is actually a skate board and can also be aeroplane ..I was looking at him ..(what a joke to my effort)
I had to drain the whole dish...and then started from scratch with an Indian dish for dinner...
and as usual it was good and liked by all.....
I tried figuring out what went wrong...which combination of food was wrong..then I came to know it  was scrambled eggs with vegetable broth ..which was gross and then adding garlic was something like smell of rotten stuff...
Any ways it was ugly and tasted worse.....
if recipe goes wrong it not only waste of effort but also spoils your enthusiasm to cook something similar in future.
Its always the taste we like is the taste expected ...

11 comments:

Tanvi said...

OH I know that feeling. I hate when recipes go wrong!

♡ from © tanvii.com

Bikram said...

Beleive me I have been there LOADS of time

and what did i read there You hold a FORTE in indian cooking .. Well what you waiting for MAIL Them to me hune hune hune hun hune :)


Bikram's

Jessica said...

Stop by our blog and enter our giveaway.

http://sunnydaystarrynight.blogspot.com/2011/03/birthday-giveaway.html

hamaarethoughts.com said...

@Bikram ..Whic recipe you want??
hune hune hune.....lemme know!!1

Amrit said...

I burnt a couple of utensils so I am not allowed in kitchen ::))) That recipe always works for men...

On a serious note, when I cooked in my life (three times in all), the food was delicious.

Bikram said...

saariyaan hune hune hune ...

lets start with the Non Veg pehlaan pehlaan pehlaan ...

:) :) :)

Felicity Grace Terry said...

You have my congratulations - I've been married almost 25 years and still can't cook.

hamaarethoughts.com said...

@A..men have their FORTE in getting things burnt..its very normal...some indian men can cook very well too..But then kitchen is a big mess!

@bikram....so Very FunnY...
any specific recipe you are looking for?
Sehajc@Gmail.com..lemme know!

@Petty witter...thanks dear!
Indian Women doesnt have many options (lol)

Daanish said...

a cool post,but don't worry if.........the recipe goes wrong.

Try again :)

A.G.Krishnan said...

I don't know "what IF the receipe goes wrong" but for certain, above articles (fork, knife etc. etc) would be used extensively and the bang of which would be heard by all neighbours till late night !!

Thinking said...

hmmm....I smiled...

Well...good luck with your receipies next time...

Good post !