Sunday, June 6, 2010

frozen..food.

..talking to one of my friends "kiran"who works for Ford ,I was surprised when she said I don't cook ...its difficult with work and then come home and cook...I asked ..then what do you eat? she said ..I cook on weekends and freeze the left over food ..for weekdays...and then frozen dinners from stores stacked in my freezer....
..this is very common in US...most of the working women don't cook..their kitchens if u see ..its like all granite with higher end appliances and decorated with recipe books and flower arrangements.....its untouched...I was initially surprised thought how clean people are in US..but later came to know the life style.
kiran is my one friend but we see there are many other people who do the same, I mean frozen food markets runs on this fundamental of working women.
when kiran asked me what I do ..I told her I cook every day after work ..and if I am at home I cook twice a day..I cannot eat same thing or left over food... I learnt cooking for this ,I cannot take inn lousy food... and the important thing is...I like to cook and try new recipes...
Talking of frozen foods ..its USDA approved but nothing can beat the fresh food...all healthy with no preservatives...if one knows to cook it takes maximum half an hour to be done with laying the table....it all depends what we like and what we can do...
Frozen food industry has expanded over the years ,all kinds ...even Indian food in abundance ..Walmart,Meijer's ,Kroger all American grocery stores have them too....in their Asian section..
..all dough or cake mix or even cooked rotis(pitas).. fresh its available at indian grocery stores $2 for 12 ..which is dirt cheap... so ladies think why to cook or bring grocery...
I have tried all this but still I say the taste of fresh food cannot beat any other food!
and looking at the expenses its half the price if we cook at home and more hygienic compared to where its cooked.
Kiran ,said ..you are a spoilt brat wants to eat everything nice and fresh...I don't care my family is happy with frozen food and we don't eat Indian food that much...kiran has been here for last thirty years and her life style is more Americanized,I can understand that ,but If we see her kids one of the kid is always sick having some serious allergies... may be immune system is weak...
..Its always we work hard for good food and comfortable home and end of the day if we still have to eat ..left over or frozen food then whats the point of earning in hundred thousand and still sick after all this so called luxurious lifestyle.

7 comments:

Bikram said...

YEah very well said.. though i am 50% guilty sometimes as at lunch since at work usually its frozen food .. but generally I have freshly cooked.. and everyone knows that I dont eat other then fresh at least One meal..

frozen food can never be good in the long term

and as you say fresh is much cheaper too.. and it doesnot take that long to cook ..

Uma said...

Harman, i didnt like frozen parathas at all.. didnt try anything else then.
i agree fresh food is both healthy and tasty.. and the best award is when ur family loves the food u cook :)
loved the pic :)

Shady West Side said...

very true...fresh food is always a better option...right now i am experimenting with cooking and well even i can feel the difference!!

Kavita Saharia said...

You are one of the very few people living abroad who think like this...at least to me.

Nothing compares to a freshly prepared meal--in fact if you love cooking it is relaxing too.I was once served a month old daal at one of my friends' ..it looked frothy ,even though the rest of the dishes were very good ,i ate my meal in fear what if i get sick later.

Because of load shedding this practice of storing home cooked meal for so long is not possible in India.

Nice post .

Nikitha said...

After office cooking!!
Could you share, how many hours will you take to cook right from cleaning vessels?

Anonymous said...

@nikitha...its doesnt take hrs ...with dishwasher ...its twenty mins more...and if we use disposables then may be jus ten mins.which I usually use if running out of time. ...but there r end less possibilities...as far cooking is concerned ..one baked dish can be made like lasagna,pasta(par boiled) with chicken or slow cooker recipes that we can do overnight....all depends on interest...
I come home home by 6.30 and then start cooking by 7 pm ..I am done with everything by eight....
this is my daily routine...unless I am really tired or order a pizza!
harman

Yasmeen said...

leftover or frozen meals don't please me either :D