Thursday, December 9, 2010

Lured by west!

 looking at my closet I took out one of the dress which I had got stitched from India after  going through lot of hard work,I looked at my dress...beautifully done ..but I remembered how I lost my patience and my temper flared up!!



India my country ....where I come from, I was taken aback when I went to one of the boutiques to get my dresses done...if I look few years back when I was studying ,the scene was different ...now same house where I lived,its all commercialized with big complexes and market place..I couldn't recognize the place .it has changed so much..all the houses have been renovated and very busy road with no place to walk...
I come from Punjab(northern part of India),,Ludhiana ..living in the city was that difficult but now it s impossible..
now the dress I am talking about ..I had brought few dresses (fabrics)Patiala (Punjab) ..somebody recommended me to that place..but to get them stitched..was a hassle..I went to one of the boutiques..its was like big huge house.. like palace ...I went inside  the boutique...with my bag of fabrics..the lady asked me what   I had come for?I told her to get some dresses stitched I took my dresses out ...she said"No we don't do this,you have to buy fabric from us and then we stitch..and moreover dresses are done for crowd from abroad like USA,UK ,Canada ..we are very busy with those orders..I smiled and thanked my stars that I am from one of those countries and said "I am from US too...I can show you my US id...she said "NO.".you have to purchase the fabric from us...
I said" fine"..and left the boutique...these kind of boutiques are mainly owned by industrialist and their wives are running the boutiques..I felt really bad...with a relative I went to another known boutique...she smiled looking at me..and without even asking me why I have come for?she said we are very busy this season and all our shipments are for US customers..we have a website where we custom do our designing...I said "I have come from US to specially get it done from you..she said" its Diwali season we are busy"..same story..I left and went home..

Why are people so lured by west..Bragging ..for no reason..if we ask them about western countries and their lifestyle they will deny on face of it..saying...its bad !! we love our country blah blah blah!!is it the Dollars that pulls them to NRIs..or a status symbol that they cater only NRIs ??so fake!!
My temper flaring up..I thew the bag on the floor ,my mom looked at me and asked what happened?? I told her the story..she referred me to one of her friends Ex-army officers wife and told me to go to her..I went to the lady mom told...mom couldn't go with me as we were expecting some guests at home..
I went to this Aunt referred by mom!!I had never seen her before.. hard to recognize..

I opened the boutique door...A lady came to me..I said the same fabric story(I was fed by now never wanted to get them stitched happy with my tees n jeans)she said" look we are very busy and we have orders from US which needs to be taken care off !!..and you need to buy fabric from us if you ever want to get it stitched"..I could see a women sitting in a glass cabin inside working on computer ..I asked is she Col Kahlon's wife..?? she said yes.."mam is the owner and I generally take care of petty jobs"..I told her to let me meet her.. I told her about my mom too ,she said "you wait here I will inform mam"!!..So Aunt came out at last and smiled looking at me..seems like mom told about me  I thought!...she asked me  where I am from US, I told her..the state I come from!! .(.seems like its a character certificate).. the lady whom I spoke first brought measuring tape ...and took the bag from me and asked me about the patterns and style...I was very happy...but they told me its only you are referred by mam that we agreed.. and the four dresses will be made in a months time since all Nri shipments they have to be sent first...I said"fine"..I was in India for four weeks..so I got all dresses done just a day before leaving for Delhi to US that morning...

when I still think about it ..its like people are totally lured by west..I met many people who really wanted to know correct means to get visa or work visa!!girls asking about any guy in friends circle to " patao"and get married!!

I mean then why these double standards with us ..I like and love my country but every place has some flaws..which as a true Indian we should not deny!!I have seen people  who always talk bad about their country but if we say anything it said"you have no right okay" you "NON RELIABLE INDIAN"(NRI)..I mean how reliable are you then??...talking all that weird things about country and keeping double standards at least we know the flaws and talk about it in a genuine manner!!
I think its opportunity that matters...if you don't want to move to west why would you abuse other people who have settled?everyone has their own wish.,..and we are same Indians by heart and blood ..following same Indian tradition's and culture...

 pointing others...STOP.....other three fingers are pointing at you!

21 comments:

Amrit said...

This is amazing.

A.G.Krishnan said...

Great

Unknown said...

g888888888888888888888:)

Bikram said...

:) yes harman
well what will i say .. I got tons of examples , the only people i find talking how great the country is on BLOGS and that too now many people ..
Also if i wrtie something TRUE about india there are usually a lot of people saying how i ma a traitor and whatever...
BUT the truth is You ask the first 10 people and 8 or maybe more will think of the country as a bad place..

No matter what i say If you tell someone you are from abraod they will even g oto the point of licking ur feet...

Sorry i am being very harsh but thats the truth....

a good post I hope you got the suits stitched maybe you shd go into the shops with a oooomph shout at people working and say how dirty this is , how bad that is THEY WILL come running after you...

:)

dr.antony said...

Hypocrisy is our trademark and national policy.

Anonymous said...

I was in India last year to shop for my cousin's wedding.. I had the same issue... but I think it was the wedding season so boutiques are over burdened with a lot of work...

but yes you are right, the NRI label does work... If they could, they would ask for your passport before taking your measurement...

Uma said...

this hasnt happened with me in mumbai.. i get my dresses stitched within a month, even during festive months..
am happy u got ur dresses stitched :)

Chandrika Shubham said...

I liked the last line very much. :)

hamaarethoughts.com said...

@UMA..ur lucky dear...All high end boutiques have lot of tantrums to throw ..store or tailors will sew the clothes,,but the stitching or fitting is not good..the best one's are high headed...I recently had a friend who came from pune...she got her dresses fixed here ..as the people from India refused to do in that particular time ...they had lot of orders pending from US and other countries..

bollywoodstylediaries said...

In total agreement with what Dr Antony said!!

Writing Buddha said...

I never knew about this. thanks for making me familiar with this,

hamaarethoughts.com said...

@ abhilash...thanks.. :)

@A...yes..its AMAZING..cuz..women has to go through boutiques and stuff and see whats in fashion and get updated in style...so these High end boutiques are no less..then designer Boutiques and has lot of tantrums to throw..I didn mention here how much I paid for getting those four dresses stitched... prices are sky high!

@Stanger..thanks..:)

@Rahul....thanks...:)

Bikram...whenever I read your comment or opinion on my blog..I can easily relate to what you have said...its people when you say good things about US..they feel so jealous and then criticize us first ..not being loyal to the country ..
Lemme tell you this..if they distribute visa 's like "prasad"majority of youth is ready to move...and settle ..its matter of opportunity..its their frustration that speaks bad about others...

@Anthony..very well said!!..it takes Guts to speak truth!

@Blogger girl..ya mannat...they look for Nri's as customers to squeeze some money...but the label has lots of flaws too..as the prices go up if they recognize us that we are from different country,BUT definitely..the label makes a difference!!

@chandrika shubham..thanks..I would have been happy if you would have read the whole post...lol
(jus kidding)

@bollywoodstylediaries..yes..its very true!

JAGDISH BALI said...

This is nothing but blind following of the west. WE look for the west as symbol of perfection whereas our country has many a plusses. We can make it the best place. but who is to bell the cat ?

Anonymous said...

I love my jeans! simple and no fuss! ok just kidding ... but its really sad in the end I think its a lack of professionalism (that's present in the west), in India I've felt work ethics, honesty and a desire to offer great service to the customer is completly lacking .. people do good work but everything is always haphazard, its like a fish market all the time :) they say they'll do something and then there is absolutely no assurance that it will really actually ever be done (for example we couldn't get our cell phone exchanged when it was defective - repair hone gaya hai ji bas kal aa jayega) and the prices are same as dollars but the service is pretty pathetic. Ok I can go on and sound boring but that what I honestly feel - lack od professionalism.

hamaarethoughts.com said...

@Jagdish Bali..yes..India has many Assets BUT..misused ..I will not discuss current topics or issues..But JUS one think we lack ..at most..that's
"HONESTY"

@Anonymous..yes..I personally believe that I can be happy with jus a pair of denims n tee..which is very comfortable..But..being on holiday ..that also in India where we meet all relatives its a mark of respect sometimes to be in an appropriate dress ..rather then givin a phirangi look..and try to mingle with company you have..
anyways..I don't blame the boutiques they make money from us and that's how the system goes..BUT at least have some general courtesy ..when you happen to have a customer..
Dollars or rupees..prices in India is sky high...Barrista coffee ..cappuccino or latte is like 500rs or something...which is way to high to Tim Horton coffee or Starbucks...
There is nothing wrong in keeping the standards high..BUT again service and quality should be same too...unfortunately its not!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I was just teasing you about the jeans :) Yes I agree for the money charged the services need be better ... Love your blog.

Alka Gurha said...

Every place has its good and bad...Professionalism at the level of unskilled manpower is a big issue in India. Since there is demand quality suffers..Made in India was a taboo till a few years back...Things r changing.

joejoseph said...

THREE FINGERES!!!
POOR FINGURES!!!

THATS WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!

I HAV NO IDEA IN COMMON WEALTH AND ASIAN GAMES!!

ONELY AIMING IN OLYMPYCS!

hamaarethoughts.com said...

@Alka Gurkha..
I agree..but still India needs some major improvements in general habits like..a cheerful welcoming to a customer..basic manners and courtesy..and patience which lacks in salesmanship!
lets hope for the best!

@JoeJoseph.well....its good to be focused...
thanks anyways..

AS said...

Well there is another view. It makes good business sense to stitch clothes for NRI. They have requirement for indian dresses, and makes economic sense for the NRI too. For the indian boutique owners, they earn much more than they would have got serving the indian population in india. May be in this case it is not running after the west. But the attitude is there, money and good life (assumed to be there in the west) lures the indians.

hamaarethoughts.com said...

@AS..yes..I agree BUT there are some ground rules to be followed in business too..when a customer is at the boutique and looking for NRIs it is jus like looking for big fishes of the see..they need us as much we need them..so be genuine in approach!