Thursday, April 28, 2011

.... colors!

kevin (pissed off)
Colors I guess plays a prevalent role in the society...colour biased clothes are gender biased ...
I was looking at the pictures today on one of the social networking sites ..where a male(infant) is recognised by blue and ..a.female by (pink)which is very common in US..
I think being an Indian by birth where I was born and raised ..all colours were same and I grew up wearing blue tee or my bro often wore a powder pink shirt...and nobody said anything...BUT ...now I see there are big changes too..(in India)
...The reason I am mentioning this is...In US..all kids go by colours ..its in the environment and school system...( the blue day and pink day)
We were out for weekend and both my sons were sitting along with my cousins son...so all together three boys in the back seat..
We stopped on our way to MacDonald ...in drive-thru to get something for the kids
..Usually drive thru people don't understand and end up making mistakes....and I always say...its better to go inside and get food rather from a drive -thru...
...My husband placed an order for three boys ..kids meal...and we ended up getting two meal for boys and one for girl...and toys with them came in same manner ...in blue and pink watches even the cup for drink was also different...it had some girl y thing on the cup..
both the older ones picked up the blue (my son and my cousin's son),they are almost the same age ..and my younger one who barely three yrs old at that time ended up getting pink toy and the cup....
both the older ones laughed at his pink cup and pink toy..which made the younger one scream and cry ...as to this is for "Girls"....which made us stop the car by taking an exit.....the younger one who hardly knew to speak properly was making maximum noise ,not ready to touch the glass...I told my older son to exchange with him....He said" with tears in eyes "mom I am not a girl"..I said who is gonna see in the car ...its same drink and toy jus matter of colour...Kevin(my son)said...I will never eat this ...its sissy!!!( he and aryan both were in first grade)
I looked at Aryan(my cousins son)..before I could say anything he started crying ...Maasi(mom's sister) no...I don't want to eat anything ..all the three kids were crying....I mean such a noise for Colour!!!
we went to MacDonald again and brought kids meal  ...and made sure its in blue and for boys only!!!


....It may sound hilarious...But that's how it works...Men in Blue ..and women in pink....if exchanged its sissy for Guys!!
 ..right from schools to universities..kids are colour biased and recognise them-self in that way...
When I came first to US ..long back ..this trend was not there in India ..I was surprised when I had my first baby that all it has to be in BLUE..all nurses had stuff in blue for the infant,even diaper's ..the crib had everything in Blue it was so colour conscious....
But with time..it synced inn and now ..I think we ...go by gender biased colours only!

14 comments:

Uma said...

am surprised such young kids know the word sissy..

hamaarethoughts.com said...

@UMA..they pick everything from school!
my younger one I am surprised ..he goes to school jus for two days two and half hrs ..and uses American Slang...
kids are very expressive here ....

A.G.Krishnan said...

These few lines made me laugh :-

"..both the older ones laughed at his pink cup and pink toy..which made the younger one scream and cry"

Can you ask him to repeat screaming for us (readers) ha ha ha !

Nice write-up. Children these days are intelligent enough to differentiate between their likes and dislikes.

God Bless Them.

Jai Shri Krishna

Bikram said...

Yes true pink is for girls and sissy for men :) and the boys will be MEN soon ..

Is that you son , Wow he looks handsome God bless him , touchwood ..

and kids these days they know what they want and good for them .. I laugh wiht my mum somtimes that they were lucky with us , I see my sisters kids and say that ..

Bikram's

Saf ♥ said...

It's so true! Everything is labelled blue and pink, male and female, girl and boy, and that's how we are brough up in the west!

When I went to India as a child and saw men wearing pink shirts it made me laugh, because pink is a colour for girls.

As I grew up I thought more about it, and realised it's just colour... and what gender does green fit into? and purple?

It's sad how we are brainwashed into thinking things sometimes...

great post, as usual!

x

Amrit said...

Though your story is for fun, there is an element of serious issue there.

We teach kids to be gender biased on color and also teach everyone is same. Ain't we stupid? The whole stereotype about colors is ridiculous. If males are same like females or blacks, whites or browns are same...why different rules...

Most Indian parents tell their kids:- Indians do not date.

At school:- Oh Indian..must be Engineer or doctor.

Silly

hamaarethoughts.com said...

hi amrit..
thanks for your comment
you know what.....Staying in US I have seen colors also signify ...your orientation...
like few days back I met two guys who came to my office for some work..
one in baby pink shirt and other one in blue!
it showed up their relationship..which was not confusing ...and probably getting married .
..as for Colors...kids are brain washed... but then.. we always move in the same society too...

Sh@s said...

It made a funny read but there is a serious element of truth in it as A rightly pointed out. Its sad to see that as simple as colours too has got gendered. No longer can these children can enjoy the joys of donning these colours as we did in our childhood.

Sh@s said...

Oh! I forgot to say that your son looks super-cute. That about o burst into tears makes him look although more adorable. Mwaah for him :)

Jack said...

Harman,

Read 3 pending posts. We all like to catch up with pending chores on week ends but most of the times we do not as tendency to relax is overbearing. Relax we do by our own ways, and you do so by listening to songs. So no question of asking why. For some people money is everything. They have so sense of shame. Making children gender biased is of our own making. We encourage it is some way or the other and now this has assumed such proportions. Mood beautifully captured. He will laugh when he is grown up.

Take care

apha2009@ipal.com said...

NICE BLOG FRIEND,
visit to my blog too pls...
http://getmoneyfromonbuxwithoutreferral.blogspot.com
http://getmoneyfromonbuxwithoutreferral.blogspot.com

Jack said...

Harman,

I browsed through labels and came across APS. I read that and it took me back by so many years when our children were in school. Wish I could share it with you, if you do not mind. My id is in my profile.

Take care

The Beautifier said...

haha! children these days are more color and fashion conscious than us adults! xoxo

hamaarethoughts.com said...

@stranger..thanks for your comment!

@Bikram...thanks...yaa...thats my sons picture!he is about to cry!!
kids grow very fast...true!

@smaryam..very true girl!

@shas..yep I do agree with you at certain extent..But then you always form the norms of the society!

@Beautifier..thanks dear!
appreciate it!

@uncle Jack...
yes I do agree on your comment...
and to spend time with kids actually relaxes me!

Yep I did study in Army Public School ..my dad was posted in delhi that time ..I will see your id and maybe... could recollect my classmates at that time.
thanks
regards..harman